How to prepare for your Newborn Photo shoot
Here is a list of things that will help your Newborn Photography session to run smoothly, and keep you and your baby relaxed while allowing your photographer the best chance at capturing gorgeous, peaceful photos of your new baby and your family together.
- If baby is breast fed, mum should avoid hot/ spicy foods or anything that will cause baby to have gas or an upset tummy for at least 24 hours prior to the session. A baby with an upset tummy will not settle or pose well during our session
- Keep baby awake for 1-2 hours before your session. If you can try your best to keep baby awake by interacting as much as possible before your session, it will help with making him/ her nice and sleepy for us. Interaction could include a bath, clothes free time etc
- If possible, feed baby right before you leave home or when you arrive at the studio, before we start. If baby is bottle fed, please bring extra bottles so that we can keep him/ her nice and full for the best chance of baby being full and sleepy the whole time.
- Dress baby in loose fitting clothes that are easy to take off. We will be doing most of our shoot with no clothes on baby (I always pay careful attention to ensure baby is not exposed in any way), so if clothes are loose fitting, they wont leave marks on babies skin and will be easy to take off without disturbing him/ her too much
-Parents should wear comfortable, cool clothes to the session as I will have the studio very warm to keep baby warm and sleepy throughout our shoot. You can bring clothes to change into for when you join in to have photos done with baby to. I also recommend that everyone bring an emergency set of clothes for the photos- as popping and weeing accidents are very common during newborn shoots!
- BRING A PACIFIER.Even you are not planning on using a dummy, I really require that you bring one so that we can use it during the session only. My goal is to keep your baby calm and happy throughout the shoot so that you get beautiful images that you will love forever. To do this I likely need to use a dummy, as sucking comforts babies. If you do not have one with you, I will have sterilized dummies that I will use to soothe baby. The short amount of time that we will use it for should not affect any habit forming behaviors for your baby. It will be to purely calm your baby to get the most out of this session.
- Sit back and Relax! I won't require very much assistance at all during the session, so I encourage you to bring a book, magazine, take a nap on the couch or watch some tv, while I take care of everything with baby while you are here! I always find that baby can be more fussy when mum is around as they tend to want to be comforted more, or just to snack on frequently. I will of course need you to Breast feed baby if he/ she needs it, but I will take care of anything else!
-Limit the number of people who come along to the session to ONLY the people who will be in the photos. I want to keep a quiet and relaxed environment so that baby is relaxed and we get the most out of the session for you. Too many people will cause distractions, and will make it harder for baby to settle... Not to mention the beautiful photos that we take will be a lovely surprise to show all of your other family when they are done!
Other things to consider
Family portraits during your Newborn Shoot
I strongly suggest that parents get involved in the photo shoot and have some photos done together with baby. Parents who have decided not to in the past, have ended up regretting their decision.
Parents should dress in Neutral or pastel colours with no patterns or prints on clothing. I recommend dads to wear something along the lines of black, white/ cream short sleeved shirts. They can also choose to remove their shirts for more natural and artistic shots.
Mums are advised to wear something along the lines of Black, White/ Cream/ Ivory tank top or blouse type shirt- or dress. Mums can also choose to be wrapped in a scarf or wrap in studio for more natural/ artistic shots with baby also.
Siblings are also welcome to join in on the shoot and we will do these photos FIRST before young children start to get bored. Cream, white, Ivory or anything along these lines are recommended for older siblings. Tops with Jeans/ Jean shorts etc. Or even dresses for girls- The more texture the better (ie. Lace, ruffles, knits etc). Children and parents will all be bare foot, so need to look for matching shoes.